Saturday, December 15, 2012

To the Beat of My Own Drum.

What do these songs have in common? Besides me, probably nothing, but these three songs accurately represent the extremes that my taste in music tend to occupy. It's not unusual for my MP3 player on shuffle to shift from The Original Broadway Cast of Jekyll & Hyde to System of a Down. I believe my performances will be just as varying.

A lot of queens tend to stick to club music or remixes of pop music intended to be used in dance clubs, in this area of the country it seems to be the popular choice. Not that it's a bad choice, I plan on doing a few songs that fit into this genre myself. Others in this area like to do extremely campy versions of popular songs such as "I Fucked A Squirrel (and he liked it)," these performances are often hilarious and when done well can reduce the audience to tears, in the good way of course. I've yet to see very many queens do non pop ballads, or punk/goth rock, opera (not that I would really expect it, opera isn't really that popular anymore), or even music from Broadway. This could just be this area of the country or it could be that I'm only getting a small portion of the drag community here.

Am I going to shoot myself in the foot doing music that has never really been used in this area of the country? Or am I going to be some kind of unusual phenomenon (doubtful :P). Regardless of where I fit into the drag world, I will perform to the songs that I want to perform, not what conforms to the expectations of what people think is "Drag."

Now I realize that some of the things I say in reference to the drag world sounds very egotistical, very confrontational, even standoffish but I don't mean to be like that. I just have a different vision of myself than what most people expect of drag queens. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, and even if I just have to remember the fact that I haven't even performed at this point and those thoughts would quickly dissolve because it would just be pure ego.

I think that this post can be simply summed up with a simple phrase, expect the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment